Sunday, November 28, 2010

Social Magic Practice

Uniform of choice: bulky sweater, cozy sweatpants, thick socks, ponytail.

Today is the last day of my vacation home, and nestled in the new couch, body drenched in hazy sunlight, I reflect. The quiet afternoon allows me to focus my mind, which has proved difficult for me lately.

On the east coast, the city grinds its jaws, unmoved by my absence. I can't say that I was unhappy to quit the city for the fresh, wide open views of Colorado, at least for a week. I will find myself in the city's screeching, howling intestines tomorrow. Though I often describe New York City with such grotesque imagery, I can't hate it. The energy and power of the vibrant artistic culture I explore suits me and fuels my 22-year old mind.

For now, I can spend this soft afternoon in peace.

Last night I went out in Fort Collins' downtown area with my brother James, who is both excitable and magnetic in social scenarios. He explained to me the new magic he's been practicing: an ability to raise energy levels in a room and make people unconsciously happy, including strangers. I suppose this social experiment seems obvious to some, but when you actually practice it, the results are thought-provoking.

For example, we found ourselves at house party where people were playing Nemesis, Beer-Pong's beefy big brother. Assigning ourselves as the cheerleaders, I followed his cues and we succeeded in electrifying the room. By talking, cheering and shouting hilarious observations to the opposing teams, we had everyone excited. Granted, this was a party, so people were open to becoming wild. However, this magic can be practiced on smaller groups, and James demonstrated this to me last night. People wanted to be around him, eagerly listening to his stories and jokes. I even found myself becoming increasingly animated as I was speaking one on one with him.

I want to be a magnetic person myself, but I know it wouldn't be my style to be this outgoing and daring.

By the way, fall has set, and grey winter approaches. The passing of my favorite season feels abrupt. I didn't savor fall as well as I should have.

I'm noticing that my stamina for writing is not so robust. I become exhausted with translating the images in my head into language. And with that, I have to sign off. I will post again soon, in an attempt to exercise my words.

BK in BK

No comments:

Post a Comment